Bio - Renea eshleman
I especially enjoy creating nature compositions from photographs I take while traveling around the beautiful state of South Carolina. I strive to lure the viewer into wanting to “be there” in the painting to look for what is not obvious. My art includes representational, dream compositions, and some objective abstract. Having begun painting in traditional transparent watercolor, I mostly paint now on non-traditional surfaces using a combination of liquid and tube watercolor and acrylic paint.
The process of a painting usually begins with loosely pouring or rolling paint onto the paper or polypropylene sheet (called Yupo), gently manipulating the paint to blend colors and make interesting textures, allowing the paint to dry, and developing the composition based on what the first layer suggests. This process allows me to combine imagined or suggested flora, fauna, insects, animals, and figures. Sometimes pieces begun with the pour method hang in my studio for weeks or months before they “speak” for development of the composition.
This approach to making art provides wonderful opportunities for happy accidents, flexibility to adjust the composition, and intrigue in the work.
Other media: Custom jewelry, often inspired by fabrics - somewhat funky designs, but also classic.
Memberships: Trenholm Artists Guild (2011-12 publicity/newsletter, 2013-14 treasurer); SC Watermedia Society (2012 President); South Carolina Artists
Select exhibits and awards:
- Cherokee Art and Visitors’ Center, Beaches, Beaches, and Bar-B-Que; 2015 honorable mention
- Columbia Museum of Art Contemporaries Artist of the Year Competition 2011, 2012
- Lexington County Library, “Art Through the Ages” 2012
- SC Festival of Flowers Juried Art Exhibit, Greenwood, SC 2011
- SC Spoleto Festival Juried Art Exhibit, Charleston, SC 2010
- SC State Fair, 2005 merit award
- SC State Park Artist in Residence, Hickory Knob Resort State Park, McCormick, SC (2012)
- SC State Park Artist in Residence, Givhans Ferry, Ridgeville, SC (2013)
- SC Watermedia Society juried exhibits, Florence, SC 2009 award traveling show; Charleston, SC 2011; Columbia, SC 2012 award traveling show (signature member); Anderson, SC 2014; N. Augusta, SC 2015
- Still Hopes Retirement Community “Art Through the Ages” exhibit 2012
- Trenholm Artists Guild, Columbia, SC; 2010 annual juried show honorable mention; 2012 annual juried show 2nd place; 2013 annual Still Hopes show 2nd place and People’s Choice Award
- Spartanburg Artists Guild, 2013 annual juried show
- USC Salkehatchie ArtFlow, 2015 honorable mention
- Columbia Museum of Art, About Face Exhibit, Newberry Opera House